Summary of Qualifications
- Seven years of user interface design and web development experience; four years of project management experience.
- Dedicated to creating simple, elegant, user-oriented, accessible and standards-compliant websites and applications.
- Master's degree in Humanities Computing with a focus on user interface design and human computer interaction.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information in a simple and straightforward way.
The Alberta Library
July 2007 to Present - Edmonton, Alberta
Digital Projects Systems Analyst
- Created custom user interfaces for online services including a province-wide virtual reference service.
- Worked with a team to plan and initiate a digital repository/hosting service for libraries, museums and archives in Alberta.
- Built a federated search tool for the Lois Hole Campus Alberta Digital Library.
- Harvested, transformed and indexed metadata from over 30 digital collections.
- Redesigned The Alberta Library company website. Designed and deployed other sites as needed.
Academic Information and Communication Technologies - Managed Services
May 2006 to June 2007 - University of Alberta
New Media Team Leader
- Led the New Media team in implementing a wide variety of digital projects including online applications and websites, educational games and custom e-learning courses.
- Managed the budget for the New Media team.
- Worked with clients to assess needs and produce solutions.
- Trained new staff and worked with off-campus contractors to ensure project milestones and deadlines were met.
Academic Information and Communication Technologies - E-Learning Services
February 2003 to April 2006 - University of Alberta
Digital Projects System Analyst
- Worked with researchers and faculty to design and implement custom applications and interfaces for digital research projects and e-learning courses.
- Created a user interface for an online campus-wide course creation system.
- Produced conference literature for an annual e-learning conference and led workshops on creating graphics for the web and customizing online courses.
- Set up and maintained a Linux test server; worked daily on a Unix production server.
11431-95a Street Edmonton, Alberta T5G 1P4
TAPoR / Sator Project
September 2002 to April 2004 - University of Alberta
- Created and transformed XML documents using various standards.
- Set up and completed a usability study for text analysis software.
- Researched portal development and presented findings.
Computing and Network Services - Helpdesk
September 2000 to August 2002 - University of Alberta
Helpdesk Analyst/Publications Assistant
- Researched, designed, and edited technical publications.
- Built and maintained instructional webpages.
- Provided desktop support for Windows, MacOS, Microsoft Office, Adobe applications, and general computer troubleshooting.
- Supported the HP DesignJet Plotter and other printing technologies.
- Designed and deployed an online interface for plotting on campus.
Master of Arts in Humanities Computing with distinction
2005 - University of Alberta
- Completed courses in project management, multimedia, user interface design and text encoding.
- Thesis: The Technological Body - an examination of the impact of technology on perceptions of the body.
Bachelor of Arts in English
2000 - University of Alberta
- Completed courses in object oriented programming, logic and data structures.
- Specialized in modern literature and literary theory.
- One year international exchange in Swansea, Wales.
Skills and Tools
- advanced: xhtml, css, xml(mets, mods, mix, marc, dublin core), xsl, jquery
- learning: ruby/rails, groovy/grails, oracle, javafx
- tools: netbeans, mercurial, photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash, oxygen, fedora, mac os, unix/linux, apache/tomcat/glassfish, spring, wicket, maven, hibernate